The Five Pillars of Islam are the core beliefs and are considered obligatory, essential to being a Muslim.
- Shahadah. (This is a statement, the profession of faith. In English it translates to “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his Messenger”. It is what is said when converting to Islam.)
- Salat. (This is worship in the form of prayer (five times a day).)
- Sawm (Fasting during the month of Ramadan is obligatory and a building block of the religion.)
- Zakat. (This is alms giving or charity. It is necessary for a Muslim to perform charitable works and good deeds in their lifetime.)
- Hajj (This is the pilgrimage to Mecca that should be taken at least once in a lifetime if it is affordable.)
(Also, tomorrow is the half-way point of Ramadan!)