In an unexpected burst of sentimentality, I started thinking about writing. Why do I do it? Why do I like it? Why is it the only interest of mine to last, to garner labor consistently?
I could say because I’m good at it, but I’m not at that place in my career where I’m remotely confident about my skill. I could say it’s for money and if you believe that load of bull, you’re not friends (personally or via social media) with any writers.
I like learning. A nerdy answer, but what are you going to do? Shun me? It’s the internet; I’ll make new friends.
You go to college, you pay for a degree. ONE. Maybe you double major. Still one degree, but with two concentrations. Then you can go for a Masters degree or a Ph.D and rack up a bunch of debt (assuming you’re not Mr. or Mrs. Moneybags). At the M.A./Ph.D level you’re focusing, refining a particular field.
As a writer, however, you’re free to study all fields of education without the debt or educational system restrictions.
I’M A HISTORIAN.
- In order to write historical fiction/romance, I do the research to make my story believable and accurate.
I’M A PSYCHOLOGIST.
- I must study the brain, know what makes a person tick. In a particular situation, how would they react? Why would they react this way? Would a childhood event affect future decisions?
I’M A SOCIOLOGIST.
- I need to study human behavior, culture, class, religion, and law to build a plausible world.
I’M AN ARCHAEOLOGIST.
- I must study where we’ve been to know where we’re going.
I’M A DETECTIVE.
- When I’m writing a mystery, I need to find every clue, interview each witness, and catalog all the evidence to solve the case.
I’M A BIOLOGIST.
- Particularly, in Paranormals and Fantasys where I have to explain inter-species breeding.
I’M A LAWYER.
- The law must make sense, whether it is based in reality or steeped in an alternate reality. I must study the evolution of law to see what worked and what didn’t. A set of rules must exist for the world to function effectively.
I’M A CHEMIST.
- That cocktail needs to have the right ingredients to explode or my characters (and I) will look foolish.
I’M A LINGUIST.
- I study languages and dialects to add personality, background, and culture to a character.
I’M A HERO.
I’M AN ANTAGONIST.
I’M A MOTHER.
I’M A FATHER, A BROTHER, SON, DAUGHTER, UNCLE, AUNT, NIECE, NEPHEW.
I am so many things I can’t list them all. Why wouldn’t you want to be a writer? As a writer, I can have whatever job I want. I can play whatever role I please. I ALWAYS get a callback.
And you don’t have to wait until you grow up. 😀
I feel an Ode to a Writer coming on…